After a dominant performance at his home track in race one, a mistake in race two prevented Shane Byrne from extending his championship lead to a more comfortable margin.
The overdue sunshine was beaming off the Rapids Solicitors Kawasaki of Shane Byrne as he lead the pack into Paddock Hill Bend with an young and eager Alex Lowes chasing him. Josh Brookes made a great start from row two of the grid. Meanwhile the unfortunate James Ellison received a drive through penalty for not starting at the back of the grid due to problem he had at the start of the warm up lap.
The Tyco Suzuki of Josh Brookes firstly punished second place man Alex Lowes, then he took the lead by making a brave move on Shane Byrne at the Druids hairpin. A surprise from the number 303 Keith Farmer on board the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki as he went round Samsung Honda’s Alex Lowes at Paddock Hill Bend. Alex Lowes decided to make a move back on the Clogher Bullet to get a place back and indeed he made it stick just before the Clark Curve.
The battle at the front intensified as Shane Byrne looked both sides for an opportunity to go around Josh Brookes and he chose to go underneath Brookes at the entry to Paddock Hill Bend. Alex Lowes then replicated the move Shane Byrne made on Josh Brookes and made it stick with good drive into Pilgrims Rise.
Keith Farmer’s early promise began to come apart as he fell into the pack of the Bathams Honda of number 46 Tommy Bridewell and the Buildbase BMW of Jon Kirkham. Farmer was then overtaken at Druids by Bridewell then later on squeezed out by Kirkham.
On the last lap Farmer clipped Dan Linfoot who was running wide, but Linfoot unfortunately went to ground and brought down the number 27 James Westmoreland with him. This was enough for race control to correctly bring out the red flag. Shane Byrne crossed the line to take his 42nd race win.
1. Shane Byrne GBR Rapid PBM Kawasaki ZX-10R 22m 30.877s
2. Alex Lowes GBR Samsung Honda CBR1000RR +1.376s
3. Josh Brookes AUS Tyco Suzuki GSX-R1000 +6.207s
4. Jon Kirkham GBR Buildbase BMW S1000RR +9.009s
5. Tommy Bridewell GBR Bathams Honda CBR1000RR +9.326s
6. Keith Farmer GBR Rapid PBM Kawasaki ZX-10R +13.351s
7. Chris Walker GBR Quattro Plant Kawasaki ZX-10R +13.681s
8. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Samsung Honda CBR1000RR +13.814s
9. PJ Jacobsen USA Tyco Suzuki GSX-R1000 +16.980s
10. Josh Waters AUS Milwaukee Yamaha YZF-R1 +20.505s
11. Robin Harms DEN Doodson Honda CBR1000RR +21.341s
12. Peter Hickman GBR GBmoto Honda CBR1000RR +23.538s
13. Jakub Smrz CZE Padgetts Honda CBR1000RR +24.301s
14. Matteo Baiocco ITA Moto Rapido Ducati 1199 Panigale +27.616s
15. Howie Mainwaring GBR MH Kawasaki ZX-10R +28.280s
16. James Ellison GBR Milwaukee Yamaha YZF-R1 +29.012s
17. Martin Jessopp GBR Riders Motorcycles BMW S1000RR +33.847s
18. Luke Quigley GBR MH Kawasaki ZX-10R +35.014s
19. Lee Costello GBR Halsall Kawasaki ZX-10R +44.107s
The Milwaukee Yamaha of James Ellison was on pole, but once again the number 67 Shane Byrne made another electrifying start going into Paddock Hill Bend. Nonetheless James Ellison still made an incredible start because he was right on the rear of the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki.
Ellison decided he had stayed behind Byrne long enough and made a move as the number 67 ran wide going round Clark Curve. An unfortunate Tommy Bridewell had to retire due to a hosepipe burst which forced Bridewell to retire the Bathams Honda. Further down the pack there was some great battles taking place with Jon Kirkham beating the Quattro Plant Kawasaki number 9 of Chris Walker to the Paddock Hill Bend.
The front pair of Byrne and Ellison had pulled away from the rest of the riders, but Samsung Honda’s Alex Lowes wasn’t giving up and kept pushing to catch the fellow Britons at the front. Shane Byrne went for an inside pass at Surtees, but brushed the back of the Milwaukee Yamaha. This mistake made Byrne run onto the grass and Ellison extended the lead, but the Samsung Honda of number 22 Alex Lowes punished Byrne for his mistakes.
The might red Milwaukee Yamaha of Ellison crossed the line ahead of Samsung Honda’s Alex Lowes who was followed by the race one winner Shane Byrne.
1. James Ellison GBR Milwaukee Yamaha YZF-R1 23m 07.409s
2. Alex Lowes GBR Samsung Honda CBR1000RR +1.997
3. Shane Byrne GBR Rapid PBM Kawasaki ZX-10R +5.904s
4. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Samsung Honda CBR1000RR +11.507s
5. Josh Brookes AUS Tyco Suzuki GSX-R1000 +15.974s
6. Jon Kirkham GBR Buildbase BMW S1000RR +21.280s
7. Karl Harris GBR PR Kawasaki ZX-10R +23.038s
8. Chris Walker GBR Quattro Plant Kawasaki ZX-10R +23.390s
9. James Westmoreland GBR Buildbase BMW S1000RR +30.552s
10. Keith Farmer GBR Rapid PBM Kawasaki ZX-10R +30.999s
11. Robin Harms DEN Doodson Honda CBR1000RR +31.555s
12. PJ Jacobsen USA Tyco Suzuki GSX-R1000 +31.654s
13. Peter Hickman GBR GBmoto Honda CBR1000RR +32.352s
14. Josh Waters AUS Milwaukee Yamaha YZF-R1 +32.585s
15. Matteo Baiocco ITA Moto Rapido Ducati 1199 Panigale +38.844s
16. Howie Mainwaring GBR MH Kawasaki ZX-10R +40.080s
17. Luke Quigley GBR MH Kawasaki ZX-10R +40.173s
18. Jakub Smrz CZE Padgetts Honda CBR1000RR +40.406s
19. Martin Jessopp GBR Riders Motorcycles BMW S1000RR +40.805s
20. Aaron Zanotti GBR AZ Suzuki GSX-R1000 +1 lap